Two Nights in Bangkok
(Location: Bangkok, Thailand)
The first stop on our Christmas break tour of southeast Asia was Bangkok. We hadn’t been there before, it was a direct flight from Melbourne, and it was a good jumping off point for the rest of our travels.
We stayed at the Hilton, in a super swanky suite for less than $150/night. Because we only had one full day in the city, we booked a private photo tour with BKK Tours. We took every imaginable transport (except train) and packed a lot into 8 hours.
- Cab to Wat Pichaiyat
- Tuk Tuk to a ferry across the river to Pak Khlong Talad (flower and vegetable market), then a stop for iced coffee
- Tuk Tuk to Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo (emerald Buddha
- Yummy lunch at Krua Apsorn
- Wat Pho (reclining Buddha – not part of the Palace, but next to it)
- Long Tailed Boat tour ending at Wat Arun (temple of dawn)
Back at the hotel, we visited the lounge for happy hour and then took the free ferry to Asiatique – a giant open-air mall/night market. We picked up a few pairs of loungey elephant pants ($6 each) and had dinner at an Italian place.